There are different ways to secure your Google account and the 2 step verification is one of the best means of securing it. You can activate it with both your phone and computer.
In this article, I will show you how to set up Google two factor authentication. But before then, let’s look at the real meaning of two step verification.
What is two factor verification?
Two factor verification is an extra layer of security to your account in case you lose your password. It is also known as two factor authentication.
It works in such a way that you need to take extra security steps to login to your account. In the same way, any third party also has to take the same security step to login to your account.
The Google two factor authentication works with your phone. It works hand in hand with your phone and your phone must have screen lock. These steps are to ensure that you are actually the one trying to access your account.
How to set up Google two step verification using phone
- Firstly, login to Gmail account using the mobile app. Check out how to add Gmail account to gmail app.
- Click on the icon bearing the first letter of your name by the top right.
- Tap “Manage your Google account”.
- Swipe the top menu and select “security”.
- Scroll down and select “2-step verification“. It will take you to the Google 2 step verification page.
- Below the page, click “Get started“.
- Enter your Gmail password and click “Next”
You are now in the verification set up page. Google will automatically fill in your phone number for you but you can still enter any other number you want to use.
- Choose the means you want to get your security code, either through message or phone call.
- After that, click “Next”. Follow the instructions on the screen to complete the process.
Important: If you are unable to set it up, the you know it’s because your account is linked to work or school.
Now, you need to choose a means of verifying your sign in. You can choose to either enter a code as s text or to just click it on your phone. When it appears on your phone screen, it comes as push notification and Google recommends using such method as a means verifying your sign in.
Whenever you want to sign in to your Google account, you will get the notification on your screen and all you need to do is to tap “Yes” if only you wanted to sign in else, tap “No, it’s not me” and Google will block such sign in attempt.
How do I set up Google two factor authentication on my computer
It involves the same step for setting up the two step verification on phone. The only difference is how to locate your security page where you can set it up. Let’s see what we can do.
- Firstly, login to your Gmail account on computer.
- Click on the Google product icon (the 9 dots forming a square by the top right of your screen.
- Select “Account”
- By the left hand side, select “security”. The security page will display immediately.
- Scroll down and click on “2-step verification“
Follow the steps I shared with you above to complete the set up. Scroll up 🖕 to “How to set up Google two step verification using phone“. Don’t forget to select a means of authenticating your signing in as I showed you above too.
The Gmail two step verification is very important for every Google account user. In the same way, it’s security is important. Once you lose your Google account (Gmail), you may not have not have access to some Google products especially the premium products.