Did you just create a Gmail account? Or, has it been there for sometime now but you possibly don’t know how to compose an email? Don’t worry, we’ll look in to that.
Maybe you already know how to do it. Yet, you still need this article because there are some things I’ll explain in this article concerning writing and sending an email on Gmail.
Composing an email also includes adding files. I mean stuffs like PDF, Images, Mp3 file and so on.
In this article, I’ll give you a complete guide on how to write your email and attach files. So what? All you need to do is to go through this article and get the full steps.
First thing to do
I know you already have a Gmail account. You need to login to it before you can write and send an email to anyone.
Simply move to the login page, type in your email address click “Next“. It will take you to the next page.
Enter your password correctly and tap the “Login” Button. Now you are in. You can start writing and sending your mails. It’s free.
How to compose an email on gmail
- Now you are in, click on three vertical lines by the top left corner of your screen.
- Secondly, tap the compose option on the menu list.
- Once you tap the “Compose” button, the space for you to write will display.
- If you want to enlarge it to your screen fit, simply click the button I showed you below.
- Enter your recipient or recipients by manually typing the email address or selecting it from your contacts.
- To do this, simply tap the “recipient” option
- After that, ‘To‘ will appear in that same position where “recipients” was. If you can’t type in the email address of the recipient manually, then you can add it from your contact list.
- Tap the “To” option to move to your contact list and select the recipient (s).
- The next things is, to choose the person you want to send the email to. You can choose as many persons as you want by checking the boxes beside each of the contacts.
- After selecting the contacts you want, click “Insert“. Now, the contact has appeared in the recipient’s space.
- In the next step, type in your subject. The subject is just the title of the message you want to send. It is always in few words but descriptive enough to tell the reader what you sent to him.
However, you may decide not to add any subject. It can still go through
You can now start whatever thing you want to write.
How do I attach files to my email?
While writing, you may like to insert pictures, PDF, videos and so on. Maybe you are teaching him how to do a particular thing. Or, you may just like to show him something. This is when you insert your attachments.
It is part of how to compose an email. I mean, it’s a part of the email you want to send.
More so, you should know what you want to insert. You should have in mind exactly what you want to send to the recipient.
It may appear that you don’t have exactly what you want to send on your computer. This is where the whole issue seems to start. You can download the file you want to send . Make sure you save it with the name you can easily remember. Well, I believe you already have the attachments that’s why you want to send it.
On the other hand, you don’t need to send anyhow file. They’re rules guiding emails including how to add files. Your files should have readable names not unreadable numbers. Go to the folder where your files are and rename them before sending.
I’ll guide on how to add each type of attachment.
Let’s start learning how to add attachments or files.
How To add files Using the “attach files” tool?
It is important to bring to your notice that you can add any type of file you want just by clicking the “attach files” button.
- To do this, move to formatting tools and select “Add files“.
- Once you click this option, the files on your computer will display on your screen.
- Select the file you want by tapping on it.
- Click open to add it to your email. You can also navigate to other folders and select any type of attachment you want to add to your email.
- In the next step, click the “Send” button and your email will go straight to the recipient.
Now you have seen how you can add other files apart from pictures to your email while writing. Just like I said above, I will show you procedures to take in adding a picture.
How to add pictures to your email on Gmail – Compose an email
- Firstly, go to formatting tools and select the “Insert photos” icon.
- Once you tap it, it will bring up your photo folder.
- Select the picture you want to send and click “Open” to insert to your email.
You can add your pictures from different sources or folders. You can add from photos, Album, Uploads or Web Address.
If you are uploading from Photos, click “Select files from your device“. Also, you can send it either as an attachment or inland. In attachment, it will appear with the image details on your email like “512.jpg(19K)“. While in Inland, it will appear with the picture in visual mode.
- Click open once you have tapped on the image you want to insert.
- It will load your file in your email.
- Finally, click “Send” located by the lower left corner of the email page.
You are done with adding files or attachment to your email.
In addition, there are formatting tools in the email page and in learning how to compose an email, you should know about each of them.
Don’t get confused, formatting tools here perform the same function like the ones you see in MS Word.
- Text formatting
- Attachment button
- Hyperlink tool
- Drive tool
- Insert photo tool
- Confidential mode option and
- Insert signature tool.
All these tools have their special ways of operation. I’ll give you tips on how to use each of them while composing an email.
Text formatting tool and how to use it to compose an email
Text formatting tool is one of the tools that allows you set your characters, do and undo, select font and font sizes, add text color, make your alignment to the left, center or to the right.
In other words, you use to do type-setting, so to say. To use it, all you need to do is to tap the formatting option indicated with the underlined letter “A“.
The attachment button allows a user to add files or attachment or documents to his message.
To use it, click on the icon and select the files you want to add to your email. You can take the following steps I showed you above to perform your actions.
Just like the name implies, it allows you to insert links to your email. You can input any kind of link you want by simply clicking on it.
However, you cannot insert links if you did not copy anyone. Therefore, ensure you copy your link from the right sources.
You can copy a link from the search engine bar by highlighting the link, then “CTRL C” or right click and select “Copy”.
This tool will help you insert stickers or smileys. These emojies are used to show facial expression of the writer. It helps to make the reader understand your mood better while writing.
This is the Google drive we all know about. You can insert your files from there. That is, if you saved any there.
If you think you don’t have a Google drive while you have Google account then, I think you are making a mistake. Because, once you create a Gmail account, your Google drive is already there for you.
Insert photo tool
It helps you select and include photos or pictures of any format to your email. While you compose your email, it is always better you insert photos to your email for better understanding.
Maybe you are a marketer, inserting a photo is a better way of show casing your products or advertising your services.
Confidential mode – How to use it to Write an email
This tool helps a user to turn off forward, print, copy or download option when he sends it to a recipient. Possibly, you don’t want such email to remain confidential between you and the recipient; you can use this option to restrict him from sharing the email to anyone else.
However, you can disable it if you don’t want to continue with it.
To use it, click the “confidential mode” option. Set an expiry date and password code. Lastly, click “Save”.
This formatting tools helps you inscribe your signature on your outgoing mails. Every email you send, it automatically goes with it such that anyone that sees it will know it actually comes from you.
On the other hand, you can remove the signature if you feel you don’t like it anymore.
In Conclusion – How to write an email
Composing an email on Gmail is not as hard as you think if only you follow these steps I gave you. You can write as bulk emails and you can send it to as many contacts as possible.
Do well to reach us using the comment box if you have any question, comments or contribution.